Featured Post

Twenty Practical Steps to Better Corporate Governance | The Corporate Secretaries International Association (CSIA)

Twenty Practical Steps to Better Corporate Governance | The Corporate Secretaries International Association (CSIA) Please click the li...

Monday, April 3, 2017

1 Year ago I posted about how I quit my full time corporate job and failed as an app developer. I haven't given up, here is whats new.

http://ift.tt/eA8V8J

TL;DR
One year ago I released 2 games for Android devices, not only did they fail - but I quit my job to make them and try to get something started. I posted about how difficulty it is to become a developer on the mobile market and actually get your games noticed. It's still true, but persistence pays off.

 

Background Ever since a year ago I managed to get my job back and continue developing games. Since my previous post on this I have released 5 new games:
light-bikes.io
pipe dream
pipe dream 2
hexadic
gears connect puzzle
I also realized my first game looked like crap and fully removed it from the app store.

 

Revenue
Over the last year my revenue from IAP and ads has SLOWLY gone up very slightly. Through all my current apps I receive on average between 500-700 new users a day, which has been climbing a bit lately. Last year at this time I was pulling in a couple cents from ADS, $1 a month from IAP. This time this year I am pulling in about $30-$40 a month from IAP and $10-$25 a day from ADS. It does get better!

 

Featured Apps - Highlighted - Indie Corner
I've tried to contact Google Play multiple times on trying to get a little bit of coverage on any of my apps, but to no surprise have failed every time. This is a tough one, but I think if you can pull it off it will bring you some success.

 

Update Cycle
I found maintaining your apps also helps increase the traffic. I try to do at least minimum one update a month to every app I have in the store. That might be a graphic update, SDK updates, bug fixes or just some minor improvements. Push those updates out to keep your apps relative AND new. It also helps to try out a new keyword and wait a few weeks to see how it changes things. Don't change too many, and be patient to see how it effects your visibility.

 

Takeaway
I'm still not giving up. I want to give this another year or more to see if I can hit it big(which I don't think will happen). The thing to remember when your developing or trying to become a known developer is to be persistent, don't quit your job if you have no options for failure. Chances are, your first app will NOT succeed. Learn from your mistakes! Also, learn from your mistakes. Try to look as professional as you can. Review success apps and developers, learn what they do for their screenshots, videos and write ups. Review other successful apps to see why people keep playing them. Add some of their ideas to your games. Don't rush yours games! Study keywords well before you submit to the store. Most importantly, learn from your mistakes!

 

Conclusion If your are passionate about it enough and don't give up, there is a good chance you will see a small amount of success.

submitted by /u/spinout257
[link] [comments]

April 03, 2017 at 06:09PM

http://ift.tt/2n40wkZ

from /u/spinout257

http://ift.tt/2n40wkZ

No comments:

Post a Comment