First of all thanks everyone who clicked on this post! I have been reading this subreddit on a regular basis for a while but this is my first post in here.
My background: 30s, recent dad, accomplished professional in HR field, entrepreneurial family background, zero experience in programming (avid computer user).
I am starting to develop an idea for a mobile application and i wanted the feedback of startups who might have had similar experience before.
My intent is to create an app for the Chinese market which has simple social networking capabilities, if successful I will release it in the international market as well. Key features would be:
-
database of products with sorting/tag options
-
comments and feedback system
-
user accounts with comments and messaging (a bit like reddit)
-
free to use
As of today i am drafting a simple business plan, which already include most of the marketing, monetisation strategy, timing, database creation.
What i am struggling is on the actual creation of the program itself as i have zero programming experience. just as of note i do not plan to program it myself as it would be unrealistic timewise to learn from scratch (or at least i believe so far), what i aim however it is to learn some basic programming skills in order to better understand the resources required and better relate with the project and either outsource the coding or hire someone to do it.
I have a few major questions that i would really be grateful to have insights from your extensive experiences:
- What programming language should i learn for such a mobile application? does it matter?
- android or ios first or both? is porting an application from one system to another very difficult (and expensive)?
To a less extent i have also these questions:
- i expect costs to mainly fall in these areas: marketing, app development, operating and maintenance costs, publishing, real estate rent and related expenses (future). is there anything major i am missing?
- are there major risks with outsourcing the coding aspect of the project?
- potential development costs for the app (just the app), are we talking 1000$ or 100,000$? -any other major things that I might have overlooked
I personally have a few 10,000s of dollars that i can invest and willing to raise more money, however I will try to contain as many expenses as possible in the initial phase Thanks again for taking your time to read and respond!
submitted by /u/hlxino
[link] [comments]
May 04, 2017 at 09:53AM
from /u/hlxino
No comments:
Post a Comment