Featured Post

Twenty Practical Steps to Better Corporate Governance | The Corporate Secretaries International Association (CSIA)

Twenty Practical Steps to Better Corporate Governance | The Corporate Secretaries International Association (CSIA) Please click the li...

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Stripe: Is it possible to take pre-orders 2 months ahead of time on a recurring billing scheme with Stripe?

http://ift.tt/eA8V8J

I have a business idea I’m interested in doing but rather than dive in head first with it, I’d like to test the waters with taking pre-orders a month or two in advance. This would of course be no problem at all if it was a one-time purchase — customers would just get the product later — but my business is going to be subscription based with monthly recurring charges.

I will begin shipping product in August and new shipments will be sent out every month thereafter. Cards will be charged on the 1st of each month and shipments sent out a few days later after confirmation.

Example 1

Customer A signs up for a subscription on July 20th. Their card is charged immediately once and that first payment is applied to the following month (August). On August first, their card is NOT charged because they already paid for August and I send them the first shipment say on August 5th. On September 1st, their card gets charged a 2nd time and I ship them the product for September. This continues every month in perpetuity until they cancel. Every month, they are billed on the 1st and I ship the parcel once payment is received. This is pretty much how recurring billing works usually.

Example 2

However, I’d like to offer a discount to customers that sign up for a subscription early, say before June 30th.

Customer B signs up for a subscription on June 14th. Or May 7th. Or anytime before June 30th, it doesn’t matter when. His card is charged once, at the moment he signed up, and that payment will be applied to the August shipment. Because that payment is for August’s shipping cycle, his card cannot be charged again until Sept 1st for the Sept billing period. When Sept 1st rolls around, his card is charge for the 2nd time, just like everybody else. (Notice he was charged once when he signed up sometime before June 30th, nothing happened in July, no charge for the August shipment because he already paid that before June 30th, and then, starting in September, his card will be charged on the 1st of every month until he cancels.

Is this possible to do with Stripe? Can you take ONE payment to start a subscription but only start the recurring billing two or three months later?

submitted by /u/spwebdev
[link] [comments]

April 23, 2017 at 10:36AM

http://ift.tt/2p8sZpG

from /u/spwebdev

http://ift.tt/2p8sZpG


No comments:

Post a Comment