Featured Post

Twenty Practical Steps to Better Corporate Governance | The Corporate Secretaries International Association (CSIA)

Twenty Practical Steps to Better Corporate Governance | The Corporate Secretaries International Association (CSIA) Please click the li...

Monday, April 17, 2017

Reddit just got caught ‘accidently’ launching a new tactic which sensors ‘offensive content’ on Reddit – and for some reason it’s not being heavily discussed. Details inside.

http://ift.tt/eA8V8J

I’m surprised this isn’t anywhere on Reddit yet, or being talked about.

The other day a Reddit user posted a submission to /r/ModSupport in which they said,

Hey,

For months now, the r/———– sidebar has contained the phrase “pachinko machine”, but when I just tried to update the sidebar, I got a “this contains offensive content” error when trying to save the contents.

Could the offensive content filter be tweaked to accommodate?

Not very aware of what they had just discovered, they asked for the filter to be ‘tweaked’.

A reddit admin (which I won’t name) responded with,

Hey XXXXXXX, I’m checking into this error message now and will let you know once I have more info.

update: This was a mistaken deploy and has been rolled back. Apologies for any confusion this caused.

Wait a second…

…This was a mistaken deploy

Did the admin just admit they are in fact rolling out a new “offensive content” filter on Reddit? It seems to be that way.

Another user goes on to say,

So further censoring in the future is what I’m hearing?

Followed by,

I had no clue what pachinko would be an offensive pejorative for, but now I know. Dirty censoring admins.

And then,

Because it contains the word “chink”, which is a racial epithet for Asians.

I’m fairly new to Reddit but damn – if they are going to that length to censor everyone, now would be the time for an different website to rise. This is crazy.

Thoughts?

submitted by /u/The-SaltLife
[link] [comments]

April 17, 2017 at 03:38AM

http://ift.tt/2okAMfW

from /u/The-SaltLife

http://ift.tt/2okAMfW


No comments:

Post a Comment