Some background on me first. I’m new to the stock market and I consider myself a long term investor. I do not have a lot of time to trade frequently so I’d like to buy and hold onto “safe” investments. I know nothing is “safe” but I’d like to put money into the market and let it grow over the next 20 – 30 years.
I am considering building an ETF portfolio and regularly building upon it as my funds allow. I read an article that suggesting diversifying this way:
S&P 500 ETF: 50%
Developed-countries foreign stock ETF: 10%
Emerging markets ETF: 10%
US bond ETF: 20%
Money markets or short-term bonds: 10%
Using that advice, I put together a sample portfolio:
(IVV) ISHARES Core S&P 500 234.03
(SCZ) ISHARES MSCI EAFE Small Cap 53.97
(IEMG) ISHARES Core MSCI Emerging Markets 47.64
(PFF) ISHARES US Preferred Stock 38.72
(SLQD) ISHARES 0-5 Year Investment Grade Corp Bond 50.51
First off, thoughts on the strategy overall of building the ETF portfolio for long term growth?
Next, is the diversification breakout on the mark or do you recommend another way?
Finally, what about the actual ETF picks? I have a Fidelity account, and all 5 of those appear to be commission free.
Let me know if any other info is needed from me.
Thanks in advance for the help and advice.
submitted by /u/las24
[link] [comments]
April 16, 2017 at 01:59AM
from /u/las24
No comments:
Post a Comment